Sunday, November 4, 2007

Memories of my mom

Today is the 6 month anniversary of my mother's death. My dear friend Sue brought me some beautiful flowers today because she was afraid I would be sad. I was so touched. Thank you Sue!
Anyways, my mother gave me the gift of loving to read. It's something we shared. Along with being mother/daughter & best friends - we were avid book swappers. We enjoyed reading the same type of books and would trade books back and forth almost weekly. Until experiencing a loss of this magnitude, I had no idea how much I would miss the every day moments of life my mom and I shared. The joy of simply finishing a book and putting it aside to share with my mom is now gone. I miss calling my mom to tell her about a new author I found. It's all the small, everyday moments that I will never be able to share with her again. I lost so much when I lost my mother. But there are other moments still happening in my life that I try to now stop & treasure. I hope you too will stop & appreciate all those simple things in life before they are gone.

P.S. Along with books...my mother loved bookmarks and would always buy 2 - one for me and one for her. The picture is just a small sample of some of my mom's bookmarks - can you tell she also loved butterflies?

3 comments:

Joy said...

I lost my older sister about 7 years ago and she and I had that sort of relationship, so I know what you feel inside. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her in one way or the other. All though time does lessen the pain, it never completely goes away. So here I am, giving you a big ole hug!! *hug*

Jodi Renshaw said...

I am sorry for your loss but oh so thankful for your relationship to your Mom. I too collect bookmarks, and I think that I will do as your Mom did and begin to purchase one for me and one for my son each time that I buy them :)

Thank you.
Love,
Jodi

Wendi said...

Sweet memory. You and Joshua may not have the same taste in books, but you can pass on the bookmark tradition.