Monday, January 14, 2008

Preschool Pressure

There is SOOO much pressure now to put kids in pre-school. I can't believe that even at one people were asking me left and right if I was putting Joshua in preschool. Now that enrollment for next fall is starting and Joshua will be 2 - the pressure is on again. But I'm not ready!! What happened to kindergarten being the beginning of school. So, since I am not putting Joshua in preschool next fall (unless something remarkable makes me change my mind) I have been looking at curriculum's for 2 year old preschool at home. There are some amazing websites out there that offer great craft ideas, coloring pages, themes for the week etc.

One of my favorite sources is Brightly Beaming Resources. They have great lesson plans for the week for the young preschoolers with all the resources you need and best of all it's free!! An example of one of their lessons is having a weekly focus animal & letter. So the first week the focus is cows & the letter A. So you check out library books that include cows, sing cow songs, color pictures of cows etc. Same for the Letter A. You can color pictures of A things, eat A snacks - like apples, etc. I thought this was a great simple way of including education in your everyday time and not feeling like your child is going to be left behind for not being in preschool. So later this week I will share how I am going to set up our little "activity" area for learning our weekly themes. Also, I'd love to hear your ideas & sources for teaching your children.

Disclaimer: I know every child & family is different and preschool at 2 years old is great for some...but not for me.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

I can't wait to have some time to dive into this website. I have been getting the pressure also. (Megan will be 2 in July) Like you, I am not ready. I am thinking maybe a two day program when she is 3, but we'll see. Thanks for the info!

Mama said...

Angela, Thanks for the info on that free website. I can't wait to check it out. I've been getting the preschool questions too. Hannah will be 2 in July and everyone is asking when and where she's going to preschool next year! Being a teacher myself I see no reason for Hannah to go to preschool to get an academic headstart. She can already count to 10 and knows most of her colors and she's not even 2 yet. BUT she is an only child and does not socialize well with other kids. She would much rather spend time hanging out with the adults in a playgroup than being around the other kids. She doesn't go to daycare so the only time she really spends any consistent time with other kids away from me is the nursery at church. So, I have considered putting her in a 2 day program once she's 2 years old just for the socialization aspect. We'll see if I can actually do it though when the time comes. I'm not sure if I'm emotionally ready to let her go yet!
Natalie
Fellow IAC alumn

PS. Please don't think I'm advocating for early preschool because I'm not. I'm just explaining one reason why I've at least considered it.

*carrie* said...

I didn't even know there was preschool for a 2 year-old!

I'll have to come back to that website you mentioned.