Friday, August 15, 2008

Freezer Meals - Part 1

As part of my preparations for the new baby, I have started planning & making some freezer meals to have on hand. I searched and found a ton of useful websites with lots of freezer meal ideas & recipes. I'm trying to take it slow so to start I baked 7 boneless chicken breasts yesterday and shredded them. Today I used the chicken to make 2 Chicken Pot Pies & Caesar Chicken Casserole.

Chicken Pot Pies
4 shredded/cooked breasts of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can veg-all (large)
salt
pepper
garlic powder
4 pie crusts

Mix ingredients together and split into 2 pie crusts. Cover with the other. Wrap & freeze. To bake: Thaw 1 1/2 hours then bake at 350 for 1 hour & 15 minutes.


Caesar Chicken Casserole Recipe was found at momsbudget.com here but I did modify mine..here is my modified recipe.

3 shredded/cooked chicken breasts
1/4 cup minced onions
1/3 cup light creamy Caesar dressing
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 - 12-oz package tubed pasta (such as penne or macaroni), cooked and drained
1/4 cup croutons

Combine all ingredients but croutons, mixing well, in a 2 quart baking dish. Allow to cool and freeze. From freezer: Thaw casserole. Top with crushed croutons and bake in 350F preheated oven for 30 minutes or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbly.

I also made these Chocolate Chip Cookies this week and froze them. I did find I needed to cook them a little longer than stated - like 12-13 minutes but they are really good. Also, out of the freezer I found you can cut and bake them frozen and they turn out great!

Some of the great websites I found for freezer meals are listed below:

Next week I plan on making Baked Ziti & Bread for the freezer.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Great job! I know that it was lifesaver for me when we first brought Megan home. BTW... your new look is nice! ~Wendi