Thursday, June 26, 2008

VBS Recap

What a wonderful week we had at VBS! Today was our last day as I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow which I'm EXTREMELY happy about because I don't think my sciatica could have taken one more day of VBS. Today in fact, we had to go in 1 1/2 hours late cause I was in so much pain but we got through it. It was such a blessing to be a part of such an incredible ministry and I'm so thankful that I could be apart. It took over 100 volunteers to make it happen so I'm glad I could do my small part.

Another lady and I taught the 3rd graders and had 15 kids. (Side note: it was extremely interesting to note the differences in boys vs. girls. I love my little boy and am thankful for having another one on the way - but boys are a real handful. It's amazing to see how different they are - boys being so physical vs. girls being emotional.) Total there were probably around 200 kids attending VBS at our church. Our church does a fantastic job organizing it and keeping the kids busy. It starts at 9am and ends at 12 each day. We basically rotated around different areas throughout each day starting & ending in the fellowship hall for music. We do crafts, movie, drama, snack & bible story time. Our church did such a great job letting the kids experience the bible story each day physically, musically, emotionally, etc. It really drove the story home each day. One day the kids were blindfolded and had oatmeal put above their eyes. Yesterday the kids got to even walk on water - a fun experiment with cornstarch and water makes this possible. It was such a great experience!

Joshua was in the 2 year old class and was brought to the finale music each day. I can't tell you how precious he looked every day walking into the fellowship hall seemingly in awe of all the kids and the "fast" (that is how he says loud) music. Every night at dinner we tell daddy about our day and I wondered how much Joshua was getting out of the program so I asked him if he heard a story about Jesus and he said, "Yes, walk water". I was FLOORED that he actually recalled the theme for the day which was the story of Peter walking on water. Anyways, it just goes to show you what little sponges their little brains are even at 2!

No comments: