Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Divine Appointments

Today as I waited at the doctors office there was one lady beside me and another one across from me. The one next to me asked me how far along I was and then if it was my first child. Which my answer to this question is always, "well, it's my first pregnancy but not our first child as we were blessed to adopt a son 2 years ago after years of infertility." I guess I don't always have to share this level of detail but am proud of our story and how God worked in our lives so I do. Well, the woman across from me then joined the conversation to tell me she adopted 2 children domestically as well. We shared our stories and I told of how we were blessed with this miracle pregnancy and how I wouldn't change any of it for the world. That although the infertility was tough had we not gone through it our son would literally have different parents and now God's perfect timing has blessed us with a pregnancy.

I share our story a lot so I didn't think much more about it as we both got called back to our rooms. It wasn't until the doctor walked into my room and said, "I don't know what you said to my last patient but you gave her more hope and faith then you could ever imagine" that I realized I just experienced a divine appointment. I couldn't help but be really moved by his statement and by this simple conversation that I've had so many times. God orchestrated this conversation in order to give hope & faith to someone. I certainly didn't do anything special but share our story but God certainly moved in such an amazing way through putting us all in the same place with all the right questions. Normally, this wouldn't be so profound to me but I guess it just really spoke to how we impact one another without knowing it. It makes me realize how many divine appointments are in our lives and makes me think about how many I have missed because I felt too busy. I don't know how big or little of a real impact I made in that woman's life today but she sure made one in mine.

I love the book “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” by Lysa TerKeurst which talks a great deal about this topic and here is also a nice article that I found on Divine Appointments.

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Thanks for sharing this, Angela--both with us and with women you come across in person.